STONES AND MUD

STONES AND MUD
But no equipment, books, pencils or lighting

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Village People

I've been meeting with Uttam and the rest of the committee weekly since I went to the village.  What began as a small group of four, has now extended to a passionate committee of 16.  Every week some more people come, with their hopes and dreams for a village school laid out in front on them in triplicate on the dusty table in Uttam's "board room".   Last week a woman arrived - power to the sisters - who has a felt shop downstairs and who donated 500 rp from the sale of her wares.  One man arrives every week with his arm cradled in plaster, but still tries to take notes.  We have a university student;  a social worker, a village elder - each in their own way contributes to the path we hope this gathering is going to take.  Yesterday a newcomer said it would lend veracity to the cause if we put up a profile of all the committee members. I've given Uttam this task.  All their hearts are in the right place, but they really don't have the motivation that Westerners do.  I don't know how hard a slog this is going to be.   They keep asking how they will build the school - who will tote the bricks and hammer the nails.  I tried to explain about small steps, and that I will keep on asking Higher Forces for BIg Help when the time comes.

I also told them, again, that if they stop being proactive, this project closes, and as I have the donations in my PayPal account, the money will be sent back to the donatees.  That I promise.


Sue and the Village Committee

Donated from sale of her wares

No comments:

Post a Comment